Between-individual variability on reticulorumen digesta passage rate in goats - INRAE - Institut national de recherche pour l’agriculture, l’alimentation et l’environnement Access content directly
Journal Articles Animal Year : 2023

Between-individual variability on reticulorumen digesta passage rate in goats

Abstract

Identifying factors that influence an individual’s ability to utilize nutrients is a strategy for enhancing livestock sustainability. Digesta passage rate (kp) is one of the most important determinants that influence nutrient utilization. However, there is limited knowledge regarding the individual’s variability on kp. The objective of this study was to investigate between-individual variability of reticulorumen (RR) kp of solutes and particles in goats, and its relationship to total NDF digestibility (NDFd). A dataset consisting of 103 individual records from two studies of castrated male (n = 36), female (n = 34), and intact male (n = 33) growing Saanen goats fed ad libitum and slaughtered at around 16.62 ± 0.96 (n = 21), 23.09 ± 1.33 (n = 19), 30.67 ± 2.25 kg (n = 29), 38.02 ± 1.61 (n = 16), and 44.12 ± 1.95 (n = 18) kg BW was used. The RR kp of solutes and particles were measured using Cr-EDTA and indigestible NDF (iNDF), respectively. Using mixed-effect models, considering sex and BW as fixed effects and study as random effect, we aimed to identify meaningful between-individual variance of RR kp of solutes and particles. Given the characteristic of our dataset (i.e., one observation per individual), our approach focused on exploring the variance between individuals described by the residuals of our fitted models. The RR kp of solutes and particles showed significant (P < 0.05) between-individual variation (CV ≈ 27%). Only 10% of RR kp of solutes variance was explained by DM intake (DMI) (g/d and g/d and g/kg BW) and NDF intake (NDFI); g/d), while 51.8% of the variance in RR kp of particles was explained by DMI and NDFI (g/d and g/kg BW), RR wet pool size, and iNDF:NDF intake ratio. The between-individual variation of RR kp of particles explained 19.5% of the between-individual variation in NDFd (P < 0.001). However, the nutritional and individual traits cited above (i.e., DMI, NDFI, RR wet pool size, and iNDF:NDF intake ratio) explained only 51.8% of the between-individual variation of RR kp of particles, while the remaining 48.2% was attributed to the individual’s inherent characteristics, which in turn explained only 1.24% of the between-individual variation of NDFd (P = 0.146). The RR kp of particles and solutes showed meaningful between-individuals variance, which was partially related to both individual inherent characteristics and nutritional and animal traits. However, the NDFd was found to be unrelated to the inherent characteristics of RR kp of particles.

Dates and versions

hal-04640011 , version 1 (09-07-2024)

Identifiers

Cite

M. Gindri, I.A.M.A. Teixeira. Between-individual variability on reticulorumen digesta passage rate in goats. Animal, 2023, 17 (Suppl. 5), pp.100881. ⟨10.1016/j.animal.2023.100881⟩. ⟨hal-04640011⟩
0 View
0 Download

Altmetric

Share

Gmail Mastodon Facebook X LinkedIn More