Effects of the earthworm Pontoscolex corethrurus on rice P nutrition and plant-available soil P in a tropical Ferralsol - Archive ouverte HAL Access content directly
Journal Articles Applied Soil Ecology Year : 2021

Effects of the earthworm Pontoscolex corethrurus on rice P nutrition and plant-available soil P in a tropical Ferralsol

(1) , (1) , (2) , (2) , (1) , (2) , (3)
1
2
3

Abstract

We conducted a greenhouse experiment in mesocosms for 28 days to assess the effects of the endogeic earthworm Pontoscolex corethrurus on plant-available soil phosphorus (P) and rice (Oryza sativa) P nutrition in a Malagasy Ferralsol. To assess plant-available soil P, we determined the L-value by measuring the specific activity of P taken up from the soil by rice and by applying the isotopic dilution principle. Despite earthworm mortality, P. corethrurus significantly increased rice shoot biomass (+26%) and P nutrition (+65%), confirming that the soil used for the experiment was P-deficient. The L-value also markedly increased from 6.8 ± 0.9 to 14.2 ± 1.3 mg P mesocosm−1 in the presence of P. corethrurus. We estimated that the orthophosphate ions released due to earthworm mortality contributed to 30% of the L-value increase. We attributed the remaining 70% increase to the solubilization of native soil P during its transit through the digestive tract. Thereafter, we discussed the sources of uncertainty associated with the L-value calculation and their utilization to assess earthworm effects on P availability in further studies.
Fichier principal
Vignette du fichier
S0929139320307964.pdf (182.87 Ko) Télécharger le fichier
Origin : Files produced by the author(s)

Dates and versions

hal-03152409 , version 1 (02-01-2023)

Licence

Attribution - NonCommercial - CC BY 4.0

Identifiers

Cite

Jean Trap, Eric Blanchart, Onja Ratsiatosika, Malalatiana Razafindrakoto, Thierry Becquer, et al.. Effects of the earthworm Pontoscolex corethrurus on rice P nutrition and plant-available soil P in a tropical Ferralsol. Applied Soil Ecology, 2021, 160, pp.103867. ⟨10.1016/j.apsoil.2020.103867⟩. ⟨hal-03152409⟩
0 View
0 Download

Altmetric

Share

Gmail Facebook Twitter LinkedIn More